Monday, December 16, 2013

happy holidays! hope yall are staying warm out there. i decided last week i should probably try to get in shape. i had been working on my beach muscles earlier in the year then got derailed with working nights and the breakup etc, and basically haven't been doing anything for a few months. but i've been getting these really weird twinges of chest pain and whenever an attending makes us take the stairs i'm like winded after two flights. also kind of worrisome is that after a night of moderate to heavy drinking i have these really bad palpitations in the early morning. clearly i've been neglecting my cardiovascular health. i've always been decently athletic but i realized now i'm at that age where i really can't just wake up out of bed and expect to be ready to run a 10k. (i'm in my late 20s)

anyway i'm gonna try to get a jump start on new years and get back on the gym thing. not so much the muscles thing, but focus more on my cardiac health cuz that's what gets everyone later on. i ran on a treadmill for the first time in god knows how long last thursday and ran 2 miles in like 24 minutes and wanted to die the whole time. i asked my co-resident who is a fitness freak if it's supposed to get easier and she's like, "no but you get high". haha so there's her motivation. i'm always telling patients to eat healthier and exercise a few times a week so i guess it's time i practice what i preach. running is seriously miserable though. i ran again today and at least it was a little easier. everyone's always wishing for things they don't have but not willing to put in the hard work for it, (me included) but i'm gonna start trying to put in the work for a healthier body and healthier heart.

alright thought i'd close with some winter-themed pics. most i got from http://guysinlongjohns.tumblr.com/ hope you have someone to enjoy this cuddle weather with!
















7 comments:

  1. Is the old saying "Doctor make for the worst patients" true? You should go see a doctor.

    My older brother, who is a surgeon, did not see his own physician for a good 7-8 years. He instead self diagnosed. Sort like us laypeople by reviewing symptoms on WebMD.

    He found out he's been diabetic these last 5 years. He should have known that he's at risk. It runs in both sides of my family and I myself have had it since I was 28, and am now suffering some of the long term damage.

    I have been telling him to go see a doctor. Nope, too busy. I have told him to go see a financial planner. Nope, too busy. Instead he keeps a big chunk of his cash in a checking account earning zero. I told him to contribute to his hospital's 401k to shield some of his income from taxes; he only started doing that this year so missed out on about 12 years of earnings.

    I told him many years ago to buy life and disability insurance. Now with the diabetes, he won't be able to get a policy on his own.

    Once you start making big bucks, be sure to attend to your own health and financial well being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the kind advice, but i think i will hold off on seeing a real doctor for the time being. when i'm actually making the bucks i will be sure to get a planner though. your brother just sounds like a hard-headed fool. most surgeons are. :)

      Delete
  2. I've been trying to off/on get a jump start on exercising, but it's so tough with our schedules! Just when I'm about to get into a groove, the rotation changes and the demands change. I'm kind of happy that I have "lighter" rotations coming up for the next several blocks, so I "should" have the time to exercise. Motivation is another thing.

    As for running 2 miles, I used to run 3-5mi routinely towards the end of med school. I had to build up to it though, starting at 1mi. It does get easier, but only if you start a tad lower than what you think you're capable of and work up to a goal. That's what I found works for me, anyway.

    Perhaps we should make a fitness pact. I seriously gained like 15lbs since starting residency and it scares me (considering I had gained 15lbs in med school from my lowest weight in undergrad).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to get Kwakamole to participate in your fitness pact, since he's one of the LGBT trio of resident bloggers that I follow. But going by his last pict he posted, he's got a head start on both of you. You all can compare notes and tips.

      Delete
    2. i was always impressed with the guys in med school who were dedicated gym rats. who knew residency would be an even bigger challenge. a fitness pact sounds good but i learned long ago promises are just meant to get broken. :)

      Delete
  3. hah i got the same problem. Everytime things get busy, the first thing to go is working out: my running, my abs and arms excersices, my cycling,...
    The only thing that I can maintain is my weekly 1 to 2km swimming laps with Stof. It's because we force each other to do it on a weekly base and we do it together. Everything I do on my own is hard to do regularly... reasons enough to do other stuff ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's nice you have stof to keep you motivated. most of us just have our mirror as a fitness buddy, which can be a good or bad thing!

      Delete